Monday, September 1, 2008

Remembering Ustad Bismillah Khan

In a tribute to the late legend Ustad Bismillah Khan, who gave the shehnai its glory, "Yaad-e-Bismillah" was organised by the Ustad's foster daughter and well-known vocalist of the Benaras gharana, Dr Soma Ghosh on August 21 at Ravindra Natya Mandir to commemorate the 2nd death anniversary of the maestro.
Dr. Soma Ghosh paid her tribute to Ustad Bismillah Khan by rendering some of his favourite kajaris accompanied by all endangered instruments like surbahar, tarshehnai, sundari, pakhwaj, khol and on tabla was accompanied by Ustad Nazim Hussain, the son of late Ustad Bismillah Khan and mesmerized the audience with her performance. Her rendition of khayal, kajri, ghazal had the audience hypnotised.
Following the musical rendition, a stamp on Khansahab was released by Kripashankar Singh, MLA and S. M. Bali, Chief Post Master General, Maharashtra, followed by a 40-minute docudrama on Khansahab which depicted the guru-shishya parampara between the Ustad and his guru Ali Baux, and traced the dramatic journey of his life, beginning with the divine learning of the shehnai and the colourful facets of his personality to his glorious end.
A visibly moved Dr. Soma Ghosh said, Abba felt that people are turning away from classical music towards pop music, and wanted to promote classical music among the newer generation. To fulfill his wishes I am trying to create more awareness regarding classical music and instruments, as it will be a fitting tribute to his memory."
The show had the likes of Ila Arun and A K Hangal among others, paying tribute to the maestro.
By Rajendra Ganotra IB mumbai

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Mary Wells and i would like to show you my personal experience with Soma.

I am 45 years old. Have been on Soma for 1 year now. It seems to have lost its effectiveness to relax the neck spasms somewhat. I get more relief from vicodin.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
I took it for two nights in a row and got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I fell off the toilet because the soma made me so out of it! I take it occasionally now at bedtime so I can sleep pain-free, and find it very difficult to wake up the next day.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Mary Wells

Soma Prescription Medication